Story File Formatting
- The preferred file format is plain text. If you are uploading a file to the auto-archive facility it must be plain text. If you are sending a file to the archivist rich text (rtf) or clean html is also acceptable. Other file types are time consuming to format and, depending on time constraints, may be delayed or not archived at all.
- The easiest way of ensuring that your file is plain text is to write your story using a plain text editor such as Notepad.
- If you do use a word processor such as WORD be sure to turn off all auto-correct/auto-format options which do things like make smart quotes and long dashes, and change ellipses (...) to one character. Use "save as type: Plain Text *.txt". When you've saved it, open it again with Notepad or other plain text editor and save it again. Don't copy and paste into a text file because you might lose some characters you wanted and gain some weird ones you didn't!
- Paragraphs must be double spaced - that is a blank line between.
- Extra blank lines between paragraphs are removed so if you want to separate sections you need a blank line, then a line with at least one text character on it then another blank line; e.g.
Three or four characters are enough for a section break - a long line of them doesn't look good.
- If you are sending or uploading a file to the archivist, you must include the completed story header template at the top. In particular, be sure to include your email address so that we can contact you if there is a problem.
- If you are uploading a file for auto archiving, it must contain only the story - do not include any header, title, author name or notes. The software formats everything you send and puts the title and author name at the top. If you include anything else it will end up as part of the story.
- You can use the codes below to format the text if you wish. Don't use any other codes because they'll be converted to text and will show in your story.
Bold: <b>Enclose the bold text in these tags</b>
Italic: <i>Enclose the italic text in these tags</i>
Sub Heading: <h>Enclose the heading text in these tags</h> use this for section headings eg. Part 1
Poetry or songs:
in these tags to get
If your characters write letters or notes:
If your characters email, chat or text:
If you have any comments or questions about these notes please contact us